Saturday, July 17, 2010
I've always loved Bree Hodge (Van de Kamp) because regardless of the circumstance she always maintains that gentle smile and can still distinguish a salad fork from a dessert fork. I think by being a host of an event or by throwing the dinner parties yourself, although may be stressful, can still allow for everyone to see your talent put to work, and how lovely you can truly make things when presented with such an opportunity. One cook whom I especially love is Giada de Laurentiis; the beautiful Food Network star from Rome, Italy. She always makes such healthy, colorful food; just the perfect type of recipes to dish up at a party.
I have a house warming party coming up...what to bake?? Stay tuned...
For a fun new idea of an easy birthday cake to make for your kid's birthday, check out this simple white cake recipe.
Because in the new Toy Story 3 movie they say how Lotso smells like strawberries, so I thought it'd be a cute idea to have strawberry frosting then bright purple for his nose, and I used brown jimmy sprinkles for his eyebrows. Turned out pretty cute!! We were said to cute into it.
Here's the recipe:
* 2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
* 4 teaspoons baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 4 egg whites
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 3/4 cup butter
* 1 cup milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon almond extract
1. Measure sifted flour, baking powder, and salt; sift together three times.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, and continue beating only until meringue will hold up in soft peaks.
3. Cream butter or margarine. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, and cream together until light and fluffy. Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Mix in flavorings. Add meringue, and beat thoroughly into batter. Spread batter in a 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan which has been lined on the bottom with parchment paper.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. This cake may also be baked in two 9 inch round pans for 30 to 35 minutes, or in three 8 inch round pans for 25 to 30 minutes.